So aside from making soap for Etsy customers, I make soap for my family. I made a basic lye soap recipe that didn't require much work or too much time. These were technically experiment batches. But they worked out well for my husband and daughter.
6 cups of Lye soap flakes
3 Tbsp of water (for my daughter's soap)
1/2 cup of water (for the big guy)
1 oz Olive oil
1 oz Shea butter
I made two separate batches, using 3 cups each. I used the "boiler bag" method where I just put the soap with the ingredients in a plastic bag and boiled it. This method works fast if you have small amounts of soap.
I then added all shea butter to my husband's batch, and olive oil to my daughter's. As you can see, the big guy's soap is OILY. Simply because I totally didn't mix the batch up right. The one with less water came out superb, save the fact that the Lye flakes didn't melt all the way. But even so, it still added a nice little look to it.
The soap on the right eventually did dry, oil and all, and is very smooth and creamy. The one on the left got my daughter's seal of approval and is hard, but has a very creamy lather.
So overall, my experiment came out great! And with each experiment comes new ideas for the actual customer soaps. I didn't add any fragrance, or smell, just regular functional soap, and I was actually suprised at the turn out.
See, mad scientists have all the fun.